Happy Birthday Jasmine!

Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004

Yep, that's right, today is a special day, it's my sister Jasmine's birthday. I'm sure she's already sick of me wishing her happy birthday though, I sent her a quick text at 12:01am this morning after I got home from seeing Brant Bjork last night, then once again at around 6:30am as I was on my way to class at the PA hospital. I like being the first to wish someone happy birthday. Not so hard when your classes start so early. Anyway, yeah happy 29th Jasmine.

As for last night... I'll put it this way. For those of you who may have been concerned that the long hair and flannel brigade has become extinct, last night I found a rather large sect of them alive and thriving in the Brisbane stoner underground. I think all the old Kyuss fans were out in force last night. Brant Bjork for almost all of you, who have no idea what I am talking about, used to be the drummer for Kyuss, the seminal stoner rock band of the early 90s. Kyuss was the precursor band for Queens of the Stone Age. Brant quit Kyuss in 1994 I think, after their most critically acclaimed album Sky Valley. I have been a big fan of Brant's songs since I got into Kyuss, so I was quite excited to hear he was doing a show here in Brisbane. Brant and the Bros put on a great show, and as usual it made me want to be a rock star again. Rob unkindly described Brant Bjork and the Bros as Kyuss with a worse vocalist, which I think is unkind for two reasons. Firstly John Garcia, Kyuss' vocalist is one of my least favorite vocalists, Secondly Rob just doesn't get stoner. I would describe the Bros as being a amalgam of Kyuss and Fu Manchu, which is not so surprising as Brant Drummed for both bands.

For now, for some reason I am listening to System of a Down's self titled album. I'm feeling very rock today...

Take care guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home